Monday, May 13, 2013

You're Daughter is Turning 12.....Good Luck

In life we all go through some changes. But one of the most drastic changes that comes early in life is from when you go from your Tweens to your Teens. This is the case for girls big time. I've heard stories from friends and family who have had to go through changes with their daughters when they were becoming teens. What they always tell me.....Good Luck. Didn't know what that meant till my daughter had turned 12. It's been a crucial year being a father to a 12 year old because of the changes that they go through. In their minds, we don't understand. But it's our jobs as parents to understand. A part of you wants them to experience stuff on their own. But a big part of you wants them not to. You have to be there for your daughter no matter what. It's hard and it's going to be rough. This is only the beginning from what I was told. So I got to prepare myself for inevitable. One thing is to let your daughter know that they are not alone, but at the same time let them know that you are the father as well. They will get moody, they will get very emotional and we as fathers can't feed into that and take it personal. You can't let it beat you down and make you feel like you're a bad Dad. Right now is when your daughter would need you the most. Single dads, this is an important time because if there's not a mother involved at all, you're gonna have to work overtime. You have to play both parts. I am grateful to have my kid's mother in their lives (because they live with her of course). So it's an easier job, but still a challenging one. Don't let what people say get to you as well with the 'Oh, I feel sorry for you' or 'This is only the beginning'. Yes, it's going to be tough and sometimes you're going see things coming out of left field. But we as fathers are bigger than that and will rise to the occasion to be there for our daughters because I would rather my daughter come to me for anything about her changes than for her to go to a stranger. I'm her friend, but I'm also her father. Always let them know that. #Fatherhoodrules.

No comments:

Post a Comment